A tasty sandwich that hits all your nutritional post run needs – carbs, protein, healthy fats and electrolyte replenishment.
- 4 slices bread (whole wheat)
- ½ ball mozzarella (cottage cheese also goes great!)
- ¼ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 2 tbsp olives
- 2 tsp capers (can be made without if unavailable)
- ¼ cup basil, fresh (dried basil is also fine, ¼ cup = 1 tsp)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 small handful oregano, fresh (1 small handful fresh = ½ tsp dried)
- Roughly chop the cheese, tomatoes, olives and capers and throw into a mixing bowl.
- Add the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Use a fork to mix up and mash the ingredients a little – not too much, we just want to get those flavours circulating.
- If you’re using very soft bread then pop it in the toaster/pan without oil for a minute or so – not to toast it, just to harden the outside. If the bread is already a hard type, we’re good to go.
- Spread the mix on the bottom slices, add the other slices on top. Squish down.
- Now comes the oil part – if you’re exercising a lot you’re gonna need all that extra fatty olive oil. If you’re not, that’s your call. Either way, it tastes great.
- Heat the pan (with or without the oil) and put the sandwich in. Put a lid on the pan if you have one, don’t stress too much if you don’t. Cook for 3 or 4 mins, squishing down with a spatula occasionally, then flip and cook the other side the same way. Both outsides should be nice and crispy, the insides melting together.