Steak Bites with Sweet Potatoes and Peppers
Steak Bites with Sweet Potatoes and Peppers are one-skillet wonder you’ll return to again and again! Easy, fast, filling and nutritious, this is really good real food at it’s most delicious
- 1 large sweet potato (about 12 ounces), diced into 1″ pieces
- 1 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1 lb flat iron steak, diced into 1″ pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and diced into 1″ pieces
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- Place the diced sweet potatoes into a microwave safe bowl, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Cover with a plate and microwave on high until just barely tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir once halfway through. The potatoes are ready when you can piece one with the tip of a knife and meet just a bit of resistance. Take care not to overcook at this stage or they’ll turn out mushy later.
- Heat a 12” skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add the steak in a single layer. Cook, turning every two minutes, until the pieces are browned and the center is medium, about 10 minutes. Remove the steak from the skillet using a slotted spoon and set aside onto a plate.
- Add the third tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Add the sweet potatoes, toss to coat in the fat and cook until browned, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the pan and add the garlic. Sautee, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the bell pepper and scallions and toss with the potatoes. Sautee, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are bite tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the steak and juices back to the pan along with the coconut aminos. Toss all ingredients and cook an additional 1- 2 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the pepper and cilantro, toss, and remove from heat. Portion onto plates, top with additional fresh cilantro if desired, and serve immediately.