This Zucchini Tomato Italian Sausage Soup is delicious, nourishing and packed with healthy vegetables. The easiest healthy soup recipe Ever!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sweet sausage, removed from casings
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups red bell pepper, diced (about one large pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- A pinch red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 pounds zucchini cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 fresh plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 quarts (2 l) low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 or 2 pieces of parmesan rind (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- Extra Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional
- To make the zucchini tomato Italian sausage soup: In a large pot or large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage meat and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned – approx. 5 minutes.
- Once the Italian sausage meat has browned, add onion, celery, and bell pepper and sauté for four minutes.
- Move the meat and vegetables to the sides and lower the heat to medium (If your pot isn’t large enough, remove the meat and veggies to a salad bowl, you’ll add them back afterward). Add garlic, pepper flakes, and tomato paste to the center of the Dutch oven and cook for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, zucchini, salt, pepper, chicken broth, Parmesan rind, and Parmesan cheese along with fresh basil and fresh thyme and stir well to combine.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook covered until the vegetables are tender – about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the soup from heat and take out the Parmesan rinds. Serve the zucchini tomato Italian sausage soup immediately with more fresh basil and Parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy!