This soup is low in calories, but it gives you the feeling of being full and satisfied thanks to zucchini and its high water and fiber content. This recipe is vegan and gluten free friendly!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce (use your favorite tomato sauce; we used marinara for this recipe)
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable stock
- To make the tomato zucchini soup: Heat oil in a pot or saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onions and saute until translucent – 1 minute.
- Add diced zucchini, mix and saute for 1 minute.
- Add garlic, Italian seasoning, pepper, and red chili pepper flakes. Continue cooking, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and minced basil. Give a quick stir and cook 1 minute to caramelize the sauce a little.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Lower heat to medium-low. Stir, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir once in a while.
- Take the tomato zucchini soup off the heat and use an immersion blender or a stand blender and pulse until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning if needed, then divide into bowls. Top the vegan tomato zucchini soup with some of the reserved diced zucchini, ore basil, croutons, and a good drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!