Lemony Chicken Arugula Quinoa Salad with Avocado and Creamy Basil Dressing- an easy low-carb salad, high in protein and full of amazing flavor! Sub chickpeas for the Chicken! Vegan adaptable!
- 8 ounces baked Chicken breast ( or one can chickpeas, drained)
- 2 extra large handfuls baby arugula
- 1 ½ – 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1–2 scallions, sliced
- *optional additions: scallions, oranges, sunflower sprouts, hemp seeds, any nut or seed
Creamy Basil Dressing:
- 1/2 cup basil ( packed down tight, about 1 ounce)
- 2 fat garlic cloves
- zest from one medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ⅛– ¼ cup sour cream (optional) or plain yogurt or vegan sour cream!
- Make dressing. Place basil, garlic and lemon zest and a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Pour in olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and pulse to combine ( don’t make it too smooth). Place in a bowl or jar and whisk in some sour cream if you want it creamy ( adjusting salt as needed). This will keep 4 days in the fridge.
- Assemble salad. You can keep all components separate if packing to take to work.
- Toss arugula with quinoa and scallions and some dressing to lightly coat. Divide among two bowls. Add chicken and avocado and any nuts or seeds that you like. Spoon a little more dressing over the chicken and season the avocado with salt and pepper.
Original Recipe by Feasting at Home