This healthy Lemon Cream Pie Protein Shake is so creamy, zesty and sweet - you will feel like your drinking a slice of lemon cream pie or lemon meringue pie! The perfect healthy shake to fuel up with after a workout!
- ¾ cup almond milk or your favorite nut milk
- 1 cup frozen banana slices about 1 large banana
- 2 Tablespoons BCRX Vanilla Nourish Protein powder
- 3 tablespoons thick plain or vanilla Greek yogurt or cottage cheese or coconut yogurt for vegan
- 1 - 1 ¼ teaspoon lemon zest or bit less
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon lemon extract highly recommended but see notes for substitutions
- ¼ cup or more sweetened coconut whipped cream homemade or store-bought (or classic whipped cream, for a treat!)
- crushed cookies graham cracker or pie crust crumbs – to serve, optional
- pinch of salt optional - brings out the sweetness some more
- Add frozen banana, protein powder or yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract and lemon extract to a blender. Add milk, starting with ½ cup. Blend until smooth, adding some milk (up to 1 cup) until you reach your favorite consistency (I prefer my shake thick so added only ¾ cup). Taste for sweetness (see notes)
- Pour into a glass and top with whipped cream and cookie crumbs, if desired.
- If serving without the sweetened coconut whip, you might want to add some sweetener to the shake, to taste
- Lemon extract really brings out the lemon flavor so it's highly recommended but if you don't have lemon extract on hand you can up the zest to 1 ¼ teaspoons and use ½ teaspoons vanilla extract.
- To make vegan: use coconut yogurt and coconut whipped cream.