This vegan stew is the creamiest, most flavorful bowl you’ll ever have. It’s filled with nutritious veggies and good proteins–thanks to lentils–making it an excellent plant-based dinner for just about any night of the week.
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- 3 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 (14 ounces) can coconut milk
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups cooked lentils
- To make the coconut butternut lentil stew: Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook 5 minutes until soft. Add the ginger, garlic, and diced butternut squash and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne and cook for one minute more.
- Add 3 cups of water (or low-sodium vegetable broth). Season with salt and pepper and bring the stew to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the butternut is tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk, lentils, and chopped kale, cook for 5 minutes. Remove the stew from the heat and add the fresh cilantro.
- Divide the coconut butternut and lentil stew among bowls. Sprinkle with more cilantro and Cayenne, if you like. Enjoy!