With less than 30 min to fix and cook, this Asado Chicken and Asparagus recipe is perfect for any weeknight dinner. This paleo, low carb and keto-friendly healthy chicken dinner is prepped on the stove using only one pan and a handful of easy to find ingredients.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 pound (450g) asparagus, rinsed and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided or (ghee for paleo diet)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup (60ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Crushed red chili pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- To make the Asado chicken and asparagus: In a small bowl, combine paprika, cumin, chicken stock, lemon juice, onion powder, oregano, and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange the chicken thighs in a shallow plate and season generously with the spice mixture (keep some of the spice marinade to cook the asparagus). Set aside to marinate for 30mn, while you prepare asparagus.
- Wash and trim the ends of the asparagus, then blanch them in boiling water for 2 minutes then soak in ice water to stop cooking (This way asparagus will cook faster and evenly in the skillet. You can skip this step if you have very thin asparagus). Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Lay the seasoned chicken thighs in one layer in the skillet. Cook for 5-6 minutes then flip and cook another 5-6 minutes, until cooked through and a cooking thermometer displays 165°F (75°C). If chicken thighs brown too quickly, lower the heat. Adjust timing depending on the thickness. Transfer chicken thighs to a clean plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, lower the heat and add a little oil if necessary. Add chopped parsley, minced garlic, red crushed chili pepper flakes, and blanched asparagus and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until cooked to your liking. Add the reserved marinade and reduce the sauce for a couple of minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Add cooked chicken thighs back to the pan with asparagus and reheat quickly. Adjust seasoning with pepper and serve the Asado chicken thighs and asparagus immediately, garnished with more crushed chili pepper, fresh parsley, and a slice of lemon if you like.